Notting Hill Gate is one of the main thoroughfares of Notting Hill, historically the street was a location for toll gates, from which it derives its modern name.
The area runs from Ossington Street/Kensington Palace Gardens, the Bayswater Road becomes Notting Hill Gate, continuing westward until it becomes Holland Park Avenue, just before it reaches Ladbroke Grove.
It is home to a variety of stores, restaurants, cafés and estate agents as well as more specialist stores which include rare records and antiques.
There are also two historic cinemas, the Coronet (originally opened as a theatre in 1898) and the Gate, as well as also several bars and clubs.
It is the location of the legendary Record and Tape Exchange shops (now Music and Video).
Much of the street was redeveloped in the 1950s with two large tower blocks being erected on the north and south sides of the street. At this time Notting Hill Gate tube station was also redeveloped linking two stations on the Circle and District and Central lines which had previously been accessed on either side of the street with an entirely underground station enabling interchange between the deep level Central Line and the sub-surface Circle and District Lines.
The new tube station also acts as a pedestrian subway under the widened Notting Hill Gate, the subway leading to the ticket office.
Not all of Notting Hill Gate's original features were lost when it was redeveloped however, one good example of this being the Notting Hill Coronet Previously a theatre, it was converted into a cinema in 1923, and was saved from demolition by local activists in 1972 and 1989.
In 2004, its long-term future was secured by the Kensington Temple who acquired the site with the intention of continuing to provide independent cinema.
The Coronet is one of two famous cinemas on Notting Hill Gate, the other being the Gate which opened in 1911 and still retains its Edwardian plasterwork, including a heavily coffered ceiling.